This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of the National Pork Board. Opinions and text are my own.
How do you transform leftover ham? Make ham salad of course. Last month, I shared my recipe for Slow Cooker Ham with Apple Sauce and today I’m sharing how to use up some of that leftover ham by making Tropical Ham Salad Sandwiches! I partnered up with Pork Be Inspired to create a few holiday recipes, and this was one of them. I was asked to take a classic family recipe and transform it into something new aged. The first thing that came to mind was my grandmother’s ham salad sandwiches. Every time my mom makes a ham you better believe she is making ham salad with some of the leftovers and slow cooker split pea soup with the remaining.
I figured I would make our families ham salad recipe and make it tropical! Everyone in my family who indulges in this salad year after year welcomed the change. Although I’ll be the first to admit that my mom was a bit skeptical. But after the first bite she was in love with the new twist! Sweet and savory and packed full of flavor!
Have you downloaded the National Pork Board’s first-ever “Cooking For Comfort” eCookbook? What are you waiting for? It’s free and packed full of delicious recipes! Stop back by next week and I’ll be giving away a few hard copies of the Cooking For Comfort eCookbook!
Katie Original Recipe
Tropical Ham Salad Sandwiches
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups diced ham
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp canned crushed pineapple
- 2 tbsp macadamia nuts
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tsp diced red bell pepper
- 4 Hawaiian-style hamburger buns split
- 4 pineapple fresh or canned sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the ham and mayonnaise and pulse to blend, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Add the crushed pineapple, nuts, parsley and bell pepper and pulse to blend, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Set aside.
- Arrange the lettuce on the bun bottoms. Top with the sliced pineapple, ham mixture and bun tops and serve.