I love granola. I haven’t made granola my entire pregnancy. I think there are multiple reasons for this.
- I hate turning on my oven since it heats up my house like no one’s business and I’m already overheated to begin with.
- I haven’t really had the energy.
I actually purchased store-bought granola the other month when it was on sale for buy-one-get-one free. It didn’t make me feel as guilty buying it because it was on sale. Store bought granola can be crazy expensive. Considering I almost always have the ingredients on hand I can’t justify spending the money. But being pregnant has made me justify spending money on things I would never spend money on (and buying lunch out almost daily instead of taking leftovers into the office day-after-day).
I finally finished the store bought granola the other week, and just like that I found myself not even thinking twice. I was making granola again! It was like old times–except I made the simplest granola I’ve ever made in my life… with just 4 ingredients! That’s it. No dried fruit, no multiple nuts, spices, etc… just 4 simple ingredients that I had on hand.
I wasn’t sure if it would turn out great, but I figured it would do its perfect and be added as a filler to my morning yogurt parfaits. It turned out amazing and those who I shared with felt the same way! Best of all, I’ve had homemade 4-ingredient vanilla almond agave granola for the past two weeks now. I’ve simply stored it in a ziplock bag. If you don’t have a sealed baggie a sealed container works just as well. I love being able to put a scoops in my morning granola and know everything that is in it and that I made it. So back to granola making I go… especially since this 4-ingredient variety is tasty and wasn’t difficult to make!
Katie Original Recipe
Vanilla Almond Agave Granola
- 3/4 cup Agave Nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a sauce pan, heat the agave nectar and vanilla extract on high for one minute, just until its warm (do not let it bubble). Set to the side.
- Place the quick cooking oats and sliced almonds in a large bowl. Pour the agave mixture on top of the oats/almonds. Mix well with a spoon until everything is coated with agave. Pour onto a parchment (or SILPAT) lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes (mixing half way through).
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.