Chicken and Black Beans in the Crock PotPosted by Katie on Apr 27, 2011 in Chicken, Crock Pot, herbs/vegetables, Main Dish, Mexican | 5 comments
My good friend Rachel introduced me to this recipe a few months ago. She got the recipe from her sister and so-on and so-forth. Rachel and her sister altered the recipe, and I’ve done the same as well. I’m not even sure of the real name to this recipe, but this is what I call it in my house.
I’m always looking for a great crock pot recipe, and this indeed is by far my favorite to date, I thought “salsa chicken” was amazing–think again! This recipe is super fresh in taste and does not lack flavor. I’ve made it at least 3 times since I first tried this recipe 2 months back, and I’ve even frozen and reheated containers. This will make a lot of food, and best of all you can eat it many different ways. The first night with rice, the second, as burrito’s or taco’s, for lunch shredded chicken nacho’s or even a quesadilla! It’s so flavorful and I don’t feel at all guilty when I eat this dish. I hope you will give this recipe a try and enjoy it just as much as I do!
Source: My Friend Rachel!
Chicken and Black Beans in the Crock Pot
- 2 boneless chicken breast, salted and peppered
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 2 cups diced onion, bell peppers, and zucchini
- 2 cups fresh tomato salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- shredded cheddar cheese for toping
- wedge of avocado
- 1. In a crock pot place the chicken breast, drained black beans, vegetables, salsa, frozen corn, green chilies, and chili powder into the crock pot. Mix the wet ingredients on top and set the crock pot on low for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours).
- 2. Prior to serving, remove the chicken from the crock pot and shred with a fork. Add the chicken back to the crock pot and add the quarter cup minced cilantro, mix well. Serve with rice and a wedge of avocado and shredded cheese if desired.
This recipe is brought to you by Katie Jasiewicz of Katies Cucina