Enjoy a classic Italian recipe with a twist that has little to no clean-up! My recipe for Chicken Cacciatore Foil Packets are perfect for a quick dinner.
I’m always on the hunt for an easy fool-proof dinner recipe. Bonus points if it has very few dishes to clean-up. You might remember that I didn’t have a cook top for pretty much the month of July and part of August. This is where I was forced to get creative. Insert–all the foil packet dinners. I was craving Chicken Cacciatore, but I didn’t have a stove top to work with. That’s when I created a foil packet meal.
How do you cook a foil packet meal?
I originally was going to cook these foil packets on the grill, but last minute decided to bake them in the oven. It was starting to storm and the kids were going crazy. Either way you wish–you can make these Chicken Cacciatore Foil Packets on the grill or in the oven.
Prepping the veggies is key
This recipe for Chicken Cacciatore Foil Packets requires quite a bit of veggie prep. It’s okay because you will make up time as this cooks and with very little clean-up. If you wanted to you could prep most of the vegetables the evening before and then assemble the next day once your ready to eat.
I grew up with my dad always making onions and mushrooms in foil packets on the grill. I definitely think of him and channel his love for foil packets when I make meals like these. In fact, the night I made these he almost came over for dinner and was intrigued and loved the idea that I was making dinner in a foil packet. I can’t wait to make this meal for him in the future. If you want to simplify dinner or simply want to switch it up and make something new try my recipe for Chicken Cacciatore Foil Packets.
Chicken Cacciatore Foil Packets
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 zucchini quartered
- 1 yellow squash quartered
- 4 baby eggplant quartered
- 1/2 white onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white mushrooms sliced
- 12 grape tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- fresh oregano and parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven heats, cut four pieces of aluminum foil 12x12 in size. Lay out the aluminum foil on the counter.
- Chop all the vegetables. Divide the vegetables evenly among the 4 aluminum foil packets. Add minced garlic, additional salt and pepper, and Italian Seasoning to all the packets.
- Rinse, and pat dry the chicken breast. Pound the chicken with a meat mallet, then cut each breast in half. The goal is for each piece of chicken to be equal in size. Season each chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Place each chicken breast on the aluminum foil. Then Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in each packet. Pour 1/4 cup marinara sauce on top of each chicken breast. Then, place a few sprigs of fresh parsley and oregano in each packet. Once your packet is complete, begin to fold packet like a taco, then crimp edges and roll until sealed. You should have no gaps in your foil packet--steam is what will cook this meal.
- Place the packets on a baking tray and cook for 25 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Carefully open packets and eat as is or serve alongside with pasta.