Leek and Cheddar Egg White Souffle
I’ve been working on this recipe for months now. After multiple attempts I think I’ve perfected. I was first inspired to create this recipe after eating the most amazing Leek and Cheddar Egg White Souffle at Food Blog Forum Orlando back in March. I had not one but two of these little gems. I’ve never been a fan of souffles or quiche. Only because they always contained yolk and I’m kind of a yolk hater. But when the fine folks at Disney created a breakfast treat using egg whites I was in heaven!
If you are looking to make your family and friends a fancy breakfast, brunch, or even brinner this is a dish that will sure to be a family favorite. Giving the egg whites a good beating is the key to this dish, and of course sharp cheddar cheese adds a nice kick. You can saute the leeks a day ahead of time to save time the day you decide to make this souffle. That’s what I found worked best as far as making the most of my time.
I must note that I’ve only made this dish in individual ramekins and 2 servings at a time. When your baking them, they puff up–way over the ramekin, but once you pull them out of the oven they begin to sink. Upon your first forkful you’ll see the steam billow out of the souffle. Be careful not to burn your mouth! My husband and I were guilty of this on multiple occasions. I found that it cooled much quicker when I pulled the souffle out of the ramekin. Either way you decide to eat it I’m sure you’ll fall in love with it as much as I have!
Source: Katie Original
- 1/4 cup Leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 8 Egg Whites
- 4 tbsp Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
- Cooking Spray
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, begin to saute thinly sliced leeks until lightly golden brown (about 10 minutes).
- While leeks are cooking, using two bowls, crack and divide egg yolk from white. Each bowl should have four egg whites. Add salt and pepper to each bowl, and beat the egg whites well until bubbles start to form (about 1 minute).
- Lightly grease the two ramekins with cooking spray. Pour egg whites into individual ramekins. Gently mix-in the sauteed leeks and top each ramekin with two tablespoons shredded cheddar.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the tops of the souffles are golden brown. Serve and enjoy.
Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/kjasiewicz21/webapps/katiescucina/wp-content/themes/katiescucina/single.php on line 74