Learn how to make this easy weeknight dinner of Chicken and Black Beans in the Crock Pot; toss everything in the slow cooker and let it cook for hours!
First published April 27, 2011 // Republished with updated photos January 3, 2019
I first learned about this recipe some 9 years ago. At the time, my friend and fellow co-worker Rachel introduced me to this recipe. Rachel got the recipe from her sister and so-on and so-forth. Rachel and her sister altered the recipe, and I’ve done the same as well. I’m not even sure of the real name to this recipe, but this is what I call it in my house. I’m always looking for a great slow cooker recipe, and this indeed is by far my favorite to date, I thought “salsa chicken” was amazing–think again!
How do you make black beans and chicken?
In a crock pot place the chicken breast, drained black beans, vegetables, salsa, frozen corn, green chilies, and chili powder into the crock pot. Mix the wet ingredients on top and set the crock pot on low for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours).
Prior to serving, remove the chicken from the crock pot and shred with a fork.
Pro tip: if you own a KitchenAid Stand Mixer place the chicken breast in the bowl and add the paddle attachment on to the mixer. Secure bowl in place, and turn on low speed. Mix for 30 seconds or until chicken is full shredded.
Once the chicken is shredded you can add the chicken back to the crock pot. Then add the 1/4 cup minced cilantro. Mix well and serve on top of rice and a wedge of avocado and shredded cheese if desired.
Can you freeze chicken and black beans?
Yes, I’ve frozen this slow cooker Mexican recipe many times before. I’ll freeze in individual container and thaw/reheat for a quick lunch! This recipe makes a lot so freezing half of it for a future easy dinner is a perfect way to make sure you don’t waste it!
What ways can you eat Chicken & Black Beans?
What I love about this recipe is that it’s extremely versatile. I’m going to give you a few different ways you can eat this meal throughout the week!
- Chicken and Black Beans over rice
- Burrito’s stuffed with chicken and black beans
- Chicken and Black Bean Taco’s
- Black bean and chicken quesadillas
If you are looking for an easy weeknight meal or maybe even for Taco Tuesday. I hope you’ll give this recipe for slow cooker chicken and black beans a try.
Chicken and Black Beans in the Crock Pot
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups onion, bell peppers, and zucchini diced
- 2 cups fresh tomato salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 Old El Paso Diced Green Chiles
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a crock pot place the chicken breast, drained black beans, vegetables, salsa, frozen corn, green chilies, and chili powder into the crock pot. Mix the wet ingredients on top and set the crock pot on low for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours).
- Prior to serving, remove the chicken from the crock pot and shred with a fork. Add the chicken back to the crock pot and add the quarter cup minced cilantro, mix well.
- Serve on top of rice and a wedge of avocado and shredded cheese if desired.