Did you grow an abundance of cucumbers? Make Creamy Cucumber Salad using sour cream, fresh dill, red onion, and at least two cucumbers thinly sliced! This easy cucumber side dish comes together in 30 minutes time.
Growing up I vividly remember enjoying bowls of creamy cucumber salad. Every time we would road trip up north we would visit my mom’s childhood next-door neighbor, Annie. She always made this cucumber salad for me. I remember Annie yelling at me at the dinner table to save some cucumber salad for others. I absolutely loved this cucumber salad that consisted of creamy sour cream, dill, red onions and of course thinly sliced cucumbers.
Unfortunately, Annie, never wrote down the recipe, and since she is no longer around I had to make this salad recipe by trial and error. After many years of testing I’ve pretty much nailed this recipe spot on. The best part is that it’s super easy to make and very satisfying. Now, I find myself yelling at my own kids to stop eating all the cucumber salad.
- Cucumbers – English cucumbers work best as they have no seeds in the middle. But the traditional cucumber works too. You will want to peel the cucumbers and thinly slice them. I like to use this handheld mandolin slicer.
- Kosher Salt – this is needed during the beginning of the salad process. You need to “sweat out” the moisture from the cucumber salad.
- Sour cream – any fat level works although I typically use fat free sour cream.
- Fresh dill – I prefer fresh over the dried jarred dill.
- Red Onion – I find red onion is a little less pungent and more sweet then a traditional white onion.
How to Make Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream
Peel cucumbers and slice thin.
Spread slices in large shallow pan. Sprinkle with salt and let stand 15 minutes; drain and rinse well.
Combine remaining ingredients in medium bowl.
Mix well. Add cucumber slices; mix well. Let chill in refrigerator a few hours before serving.
This is optional, but I always take the time to peel my cucumbers for this sour cream cucumber salad recipe. I prefer the salad to not have the cucumber peels.
The secret to making cucumbers soft, is after peeling and thinly slicing the cucumber to add a generous amount of salt to the cucumbers. Let them sit for 15-30 minutes so all the water and moisture can release from the cucumbers.
I happen to love cucumbers and have an abundance of recipes here on Katie’s Cucina. Besides making this cucumber salad I have quite a few other recipes you can make to use up all your cucumbers!
Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles
Sesame Cucumber Salad
Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad
Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
Tips & Tricks
I’ve been making this recipe for 15+ years. Here are a few of my tips and tricks for making this cucumber salad with sour cream.
- Make ahead – I love to make this recipe in the morning and let it refrigerate for more then an hour. The cucumbers start to release additional water making the sour cream marinate more into the salad.
- Mince onions – I like to mince my red onions very small so they aren’t so pungent and blend into the salad. Some people prefer long thin strips. Totally up to you.
- Fresh Dill – I prefer to make this recipe with fresh dill vs jarred dried dill.
BBQ Main Dishes
Here are a few of my favorite main dishes to pair with this creamy cucumber salad recipe.
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Barbecue Beef Brisket
- Lemon and Herb Grilled Chicken Breast
- Brown Sugar Grilled Turkey Breast
- Grilled Greek Chicken Strips
If you love cucumbers and enjoy the flavors of sour cream and dill you will love this easy cucumber salad recipe. Perfect for just about any time of the year.
If you make my Cucumber salad with sour cream, I would be honored and love for you to take the time to leave a star rating and comment! I spend hours developing and testing these recipes, and always love to hear feedback and user experience!
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Mandoline Slicer
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 Cucumbers peeled and sliced thin
- 1 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 8 oz. Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp Fresh Dill minced
- 2 tbsp Red Onion minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Peel cucumbers and slice thin. Spread slices in large shallow pan. Sprinkle with salt and let stand 15 minutes; drain and rinse well.
- Combine remaining ingredients in medium bowl; mix well. Add cucumber slices; mix well. Let chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes or as much as 24 hours before serving.
Disclosure: There are affiliate links present in this post. That means if you click on a link and purchase something. I will receive a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your continuous support of Katie’s Cucina!