Spice up the boring old fajitas with my quick and easy recipe for Sheet Pan Citrus Chicken Fajitas. The citrus fruit is the secret ingredient you must try!
We eat Mexican food every Tuesday. It’s kind of an unspoken rule in my home. I switch up and alternate between chicken, beef, and fish tacos as well as various fajita combos. My favorite way to cook fajitas is on the grill. However, my husband loves this recipe for sheet pan citrus chicken fajitas. I admit–I love the easy cleanup and the recipe is delicious as well. My favorite thing about fajitas is that I can prep all the veggies ahead of time. In fact, for this recipe I even prep my chicken ahead of time so it’s marinating in the fajita seasoning.
Once I’m ready to cook dinner it takes a whopping 30 minutes to cook in the oven. I place all the veggies on the sheet pan and the chicken and finish off the sheet pan with the zest of the citrus and the juice. I also like to add slices of the fresh citrus fruit on my sheet pan to add an additional layer of flavor to the meal.
We love to serve our chicken fajitas on flour tortillas but if you have a gluten allergy you can make my homemade corn tortillas recipe. The sky is the limit when it comes to toppings. We stick with guacamole and sour cream (for those who can eat dairy). My husband loves to add some of his favorite chipotle Tobasco sauce to his fajitas. You can also add shredded cheese to your fajitas, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, etc. You get the point! The sky is the limit. If you have older kids and/or entertaining you could place the sheet pan on the table as well as all the tortillas and toppings and let everyone make their own.
I almost always make my favorite Mexican rice and ranchero beans along with homemade salsa and guacamole. You could also pair this with Mexican Street Corn Salad or my cherry tomato, corn, and black bean salad. Switch up your taco Tuesday or simply change up the way you make chicken fajitas and make my recipe for Sheet Pan Citrus Chicken Fajitas.
Sheet Pan Citrus Chicken Fajitas
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil divided
- 1/4 cup fajita seasoning divided
- 1 orange zested, sliced, and juiced
- 1 lime zested, sliced, and juiced
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast
- Flour tortillas guacamole, sour cream, and shredded cheese for toppings
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While oven preheats slice bell peppers and onions and place in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with one tablespoon grapeseed oil and sprinkle on 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning. Mix well and spread on to a large sheet pan.
- Place the chicken breast in the same bowl that the peppers and onions were in. Drizzle with remaining one tablespoon of grape seed oil and sprinkle the remaining fajita seasoning on top. Mix well and place on the sheet pan.
- Zest half the orange and lime on top of the veggies and chicken. Then slice the fruit into wedges or slices. Squeeze juice of orange and lime over the veggies and chicken and place the fruit on the sheet pan to cook with the fajitas.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven, slice chicken and place the sheet pan on the table to build fajitas. Use your favorite tortilla and toppings of choice like guacamole, sour cream, and shredded cheese on top.