Italian Style Meatloaf
Within the past few years I finally started enjoying meat loaf… I never could understand why I didn’t like it until one day the obvious popped up… it’s smothered in ketchup! For those of you who do not know me ketchup and I are enemies… I forbid the condiment in my house, and anyone who sits near me and eats it either has to leave the table/room or I have to leave… normally its the other person. I hate the smell, the taste, etc… I HATE Ketchup! You will also notice that I have never nor will ever make a recipe that has ketchup in it… it would have to be pretty damn amazing for me to do so! So it dawned on me to make a meatloaf that I could enjoy (ketchup free).
My version of Italian style meatloaf isn’t served with ketchup it’s served with brown gravy, and the meatloaf its self is full of fresh veggies! Anyone who has ever had my meatloaf loves it (that or they are all lieing to me)! No one ever seems to miss the ketchup!
Italian Style Meatloaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, and 10 minutes
- 1.5-2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup of Italian Style Bread Crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 can of Italian style diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup of diced onions
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 tsp each of parsley, ground black pepper, and salt.
- 2 packages of Brown Gravy (I don't waste my time making my own since the packets works great for this recipe!)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shred the zucchini, dice the onions, mince the garlic.
- Add to a large bowl.
- Add 1 egg to the bowl and scramble, then add the ground beef, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and seasonings.
- Add 1/2 of the can of tomatoes to the meat mixture (make sure the tomatoes you add are drained... no excess liquid needed for this part).
- Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated.
Using a rectangular glass baking dish spray with pan, then move meat over to baking dish to form a loaf.
- Once loaf is formed add the remaining can of tomatoes on the top of the loaf (juice is ok for this step).
- Cover with tinfoil and bake for 45 minutes (or until internal temperature reads 165). I typically like to take the tin-foil off the last 10 minutes of baking so it can get a little crusty on top!
- Cook gravy according to packet.
- Once you pull the meat loaf out of the oven let it sit for a few minutes,
Katie Original Recipe
Serving Suggestions: Mashed potatoes, veggies
Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/kjasiewicz21/webapps/katiescucina/wp-content/themes/katiescucina/single.php on line 74