Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes make for the perfect side dish to any steak, pork, or chicken dish. Learn how to make this easy recipe in under an hour.
One of the fanciest but easiest side dishes to make are Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes. Everyone loves them and I feel like everyone who I have ever served them too is always thoroughly impressed! With that being said I wanted to re-share an old recipe of mine and update the photos and text. That’s when I discovered that my post way back from 2009 had never been transferred over to my new website platform 8+ years ago. I’m so glad I checked. Here I’ve thought for all these years that my Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes recipes has lived on Katie’s Cucina.
I’m excited to share with you just how easy it is to make twiced baked potatoes, as well as my batch cooking method to make an extra side dish to freezer for a future meal. In fact, these baked potatoes I froze ahead of time before I had my daughter some 3 years ago!
How do you make twice baked potatoes?
I have step-by-step photos to get you through the stuffed potato making process.
Rinse baking potatoes under cold water. Then poke with the tines of a fork 3-4 times. Cook whichever way your heart desires.
While the potatoes cook, gather the filling. Place softened butter, sour cream, chives, some of the bacon slices (making sure that they are diced), some of the shredded cheddar cheese, salt and black pepper in a bowl. Set to the side.
Once the potatoes are done carefully cut them in half, lengthwise.
Then, using a teaspoon, carefully scoop around the perimeter of the potato.
Scoop out the inside of the potatoes leaving just a small layer of potato around the flesh.
Place the inside of the potatoes in the bowl with the filling.
Once all the potatoes have been scooped and placed in the bowl. Carefully, mix the bowl until fully incorporated. *Over mixing will result in pasty potatoes. Also, you want the mixture to be dry. It is completely normal if these seem drier then normal.
Next, fill each potato with the filling.
Then top with the remaining bacon and cheddar cheese.
Lastly, it’s time to bake the potatoes!
How long can twice baked potatoes be refrigerated?
Once the potatoes are prepared. You can refrigerate them like any food in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze loaded twice baked potatoes?
Absolutely! In fact, I mentioned above, but I almost always batch cook these twice baked potatoes. It doesn’t take that much more time and best of all I have an easy side dish to enjoy for future dinners. You’ll notice this recipe calls for 4 potatoes, which actually gives you 8 twice baked potatoes.
If you would like to freeze the twice baked potatoes you’ll want to follow the instructions until you need to bake them. That means you will bake the potatoes once, prepare the filling, and fill the potatoes. You can top them before freezing or simply wait for that step before you reheat.
I have multiple methods for freezing.
- First option: wrap each individual potato in aluminum foil and place in a freezer safe bag. Or you can skip the wrapping part and just place them in a freezer bag. The foil wrapping prevents additional freezer burn. I’ll be honest, I never wrap them. I’m lazy and just simply put them in the bag!
- Place the twice baked potatoes un-wrapped in a freezer safe container.
Remember, after you’ve placed your potatoes in the container of choice to label and date the contents of the package that you are freezing. If I am making them for a friend or if I’m going out of town I will even write the reheating directions on the bag or container. You can freeze the stuffed potatoes for up to 3 months.
How do I reheat twice baked potatoes?
Since I love to batch cook for my family I have reheated previously frozen baked potatoes for years. Like most freezer meals. To reheat, simply thaw in the refrigerator 24 hours prior to cooking. Place on a baking sheet and bake per the instructions in the last step. *Remember if you didn’t top the potatoes you will want to do that before reheating.
Best ways to cook potatoes
If you love potatoes I think you’ll love these other delicious potato recipes!
- Loaded Taco Baked Potatoes
- Double Cream Scalloped Potatoes
- Blue Cheese & Bacon Twice Baked Potatoes
- Loaded Potato Skins
- Baked Potato Soup
- Twice Baked Buffalo Chicken Potatoes
- The Best Easy Cheesy Loaded Hasselback Potatoes
- Homemade Tater Tots
- Cheddar, Horseradish & Chive Twice Baked Potatoes
I hope this blog post empowers you to make loaded twice baked potatoes from scratch and do a little batch cooking of your own!
Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes
- 4 Baking Potatoes
- 4 tbsp Salted Butter Softened
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp Chives
- 5 Slices of Cooked Bacon Diced and Divided
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Divided
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- Rinse baking potatoes under cold water. Then poke with the tines of a fork 3-4 times. Wrap in paper towels and microwave for 8-10 minutes or until cooked and soft. (*You can also cook the baked potatoes in the oven (350 degrees for 45 minutes) or in the Instant Pot.
- While the potatoes cook, gather the filling. Place softened butter, sour cream, chives, 4 bacon slices diced, 1/3 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese, salt and black pepper in a bowl. Set to the side.
- Once the potatoes are done carefully cut them in half, lengthwise. Then, using a teaspoon, carefully scoop out the inside of the potatoes leaving just a small layer of potato around the flesh. Place the inside of the potatoes in the bowl with the filling.
- Once all the potatoes have been scooped and placed in the bowl. Carefully, mix the bowl until fully incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree's Fahrenheit.
- Next, fill each potato with the filling. Then top with the remaining bacon and cheddar cheese.
- If baking immediately bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until warm and cheese is melted. (See notes for freezing instructions) Once the potatoes are done cooking, serve immediately.